How Can You Help The Bangor Shelter?
Our volunteers are very important to us. We work with individuals and groups to take care of projects around the Shelter. Volunteers do everything from kitchen work to carpentry. If you have a skill and would like to donate time, download our application electronically by clicking here. You may also stop into the Shelter for an application.
Become a Meal Provider
You can do a 1 time meal or contribute monthly! This is a great opportunity for small groups (4-5 people) to get involved. Meal Providers prepare lunch or dinner for Shelter guests and = have the option to serve the meal. We ask that you prepare enough food for 45-55 folks and enough for seconds and/or leftovers is always appreciated! Dinner is served at 5pm nightly, and lunch is at noon daily- so we ask that you arrive with enough time to prepare/heat up the meal and be ready to serve on time. You have the option of cooking the meal offsite and delivering to the Shelter, or using our kitchen to cook.
The Shelter Kitchen is equipped with 2 ovens. Typically 2-4 large casseroles is plenty of food. We supply plates, cups, forks, spoons, knives, and napkins to the guests. We put out water and milk (if we have it) for beverages, but soda or juice is always a treat!
The Shelter is limited as to what we have on hand, as we rely 100% on donated food. Items such as butter and salad dressing are helpful to bring. Meal providers are welcome to come in prior to the meal and take inventory on what we have in our pantry/freezers.
If you have other questions or want to check open dates send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Popular Meal Ideas:
-Turkey Dinner with all the fixings
-Large Casseroles of any kind
-Frozen Lasagnas (family size)
There is always something that needs a good thorough cleaning. We are looking for volunteers that have good organizational and cleaning skills. Some current projects include:
- Cleaning and organizing our food pantry; sorting, organizing, and stocking shelves with donated food items, checking expiration dates, dusting shelves, making up food bags to give ourt during our food pantry hours, etc.
- Organizing donated clothing, personal care items and other donations as they come in.
- Deep cleaning hard to reach surfaces in our kitchen, bathrooms, stairwells, closets, etc.
Property Up Keep and Shelter Maintenance
For summer months: The Shelter does not have a large amount of land on our property, but we do have some areas that need to be weed whacked from time to time. If you have a weed whacker and a half hour to spare please call us at 947-0092 or email email@example.com.
Our building experiences a lot of normal wear and tear for the amount of foot traffic that we see daily. If you have skills relating to carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. We could always use skilled volunteers that can assist in fixing things that break!
The Shelter has an account with Brewer Redemption Center behind Paradis Shop N Save on North Main Street in Brewer. If you have a large enough vehicle and some time to spare to return a load for us, that would be a huge help! You may also be interested in hosting your own bottle drive on behalf of the Shelter!
Donations of food, personal care items and money are vital to the Bangor Area Homeless Shelter. Click here to make an online donation through our paypal. Walk in donations of cash or check are also accepted at the front desk of the Shelter. Check out our Wish List for a list of items we currently need.
Speaking out and educating others is one of the most important steps we can take in helping homeless people in Maine. Some of the ways you can pass on the message of the Bangor Area Shelter include:
- Talk to your family, friends, neighbors, local leaders, and legislative representatives about homelessness and how they can be part of the solution.
- Host a fundraiser or an awareness event for the Bangor Area Homeless Shelter.
- Have someone from the Bangor Area Shelter come to your company or organization and speak about the issues affecting homelessness in Maine. To book a speaker, call us at 207-947-0092 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.